The team and I have been trying to get this update out to you all for a while now. Why has it taken so long? Read on to find out.
As you know, we've agreed a price for The Crown with Dave & Cheryl. This shows tremendous commitment on their part to help ensure the pub remains as a pub, open for all and working as a pub should work. Not only that, but by agreeing to sell to the community they have shown great faith in what we can achieve.
Since that day we've appointed a solicitor to act on our behalf and guide us through the purchase which is, of course, subject to certain -highly specific- legal requirements. If you've ever bought or sold a pub that's open to the public you'll know this part of the proceedings is not as straightforward as a residential purchase. For a start there are pages and pages of paperwork to complete - some of which concern the health and safety aspects of a public house, some are licensing, some financial and so on and so forth. One other important legal requirement is the buildings survey which should happen within the next two weeks. I look forward to giving you all an update when the report is available.
To help us get through the current minefield of paper-shuffling we, the committee, have now begun to have weekly, rather than monthly, meetings. This should help us all to stay on track and prevent delays as we head towards completion in mid-November. Yes, that soon.
For many months, our group looked forward to the day we could start this stage, looking back it seems to me that the fundraising part of this project was perhaps the easiest but I was never a big fan of paperwork. As we keep reminding ourselves; each day, each meeting, each signed document brings us closer to our first day open as a community pub.
And that's the point, right? Bring it on.
Subscribe to Save The Crown Inn
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox