Today we heard from the Borough Council that our ACV nomination was successful.
That's obviously good news for our community but what has not been highlighted so far is why this is good news for the current owners also.
Benefits For Our Community:
- Greater motivation to carry this project forward, knowing the Borough Council has listened and believes in our aims.
- Gives the community the right to bid and - perhaps more importantly - the time to prepare for the bid and raise funds.
- It highlights the need for a wide variety of community-led activities that contribute to local life, especially in a rural community such as ours.
Benefits For The Current Owners:
- Active promotion and increased awareness of the pub's sale. The Crown has probably had more publicity in the last couple of months than it has during its current tenure. More people than ever before know that it is for sale. The community has done more to raise awareness of the pub than the agent who works for a fee!
- Likely to get a higher market price for their property by selling to the community. A couple of facts to support this:
- In the last 12 months, the Crown has had two viewings. Only two. One of those was our group. There have not been any offers.
- It has been on the market since February 2015 with no sign of movement.
- The current owners have tested the market at their favoured price and have found the only demand comes from our community. Let's not forget that the sale price actually increased last summer, yet we're still here and progressing with our plans. The ACV listing aligns the buyer and seller in such a way that could benefit both.
One other point I'd like to make is this: It is necessary to realise that any failure to raise the necessary funds will not rest solely with the community or this group. This point has been raised from the very beginning. In order to achieve what both parties want it behoves Dave & Cheryl to engage in some discussion and see the logic behind our plans.
When all is said and done, we all want the same thing. A CAMRA survey from August 2015 found that 85% of licensees said an ACV listing benefitted their pub and welcomed the listing . Licensees who want to sell, it seems, will actively help potential buyers through the door.
The Crown Inn Steering Group and NWCBS Ltd would like to thank all those who supported the nomination. We've still got a lot of work to do but with your help we're confident we can make this project a success for everyone involved. As the Borough Council say in their most recent letter;
The commitment shown by the local community in its efforts to save the Asset has been considerable, ranging from letters of support to other platforms including the website savethecrowninn.uk. There have been significant fundraising efforts made by the local community in relation to the purchase of the Crown Inn and due to the actions of local residents, it is realistic to think that... use of the asset would further the social well being or social interests of the local community.
Thank you all for trying so hard for something that means so much. You can read the entire decision letter here.
Northwold & Whittington Parish Council, BCKLWN, Elizabeth Truss M.P., CAMRA, the good people at Plunkett, Village Life magazine and of course the supportive residents of Northwold & surrounding villages. ↩︎
Subscribe to Save The Crown Inn
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox